The former The Tonight Show host Jay Leno has been hospitalized following a gasoline fire during which he suffered serious burns. The incident reportedly took place at his Burbank garage over the weekend.
“I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire. I am ok. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet,” Leno told The Times in a statement Monday.
Leno is a huge classic-car enthusiast known for his extensive car collection. He is reported to have 160 cars and 130 motorcycles in his Burbank garage. At the moment, he hosts the TV series Jay Leno’s Garage, streaming on Peacock.
News of Leno’s accident was first reported by TMZ. According to the magazine, Leno was in the garage Sunday when one of his cars suddenly burst into flames. He was then taken to a burn center where he reportedly remains hospitalized in stable condition.
“His family was not able to provide us very many details, but there was a very serious medical emergency that is preventing Jay from traveling,” an email to attendees of the Financial Brand Forum said after Leno abruptly cancelled his appearance at a conference in Las Vegas on November 13 following the accident. “All we know is that he is alive, so our prayers go out to him and his family tonight.”
When the fans learned their favorite host was being involved in an emergency situation, many speculated it had to do with his high cholesterol, something he struggles with for some time now. He spoke openly about it in the past, referring to the high levels of cholesterol as of “time bomb.”
Besides Jay Leno’s Garage, Leno also hosts the revival of syndicated game show You Bet Your Life. Luckily, the accident will not impact the game show, which has wrapped filming on its second season.
Although his current condition remains unclear, Leno is expected to get back on his feet soon.